A UN Food Systems Summit Independent Dialogue exploring actions to drive sustainable, inclusive food system solutions with aquatic foods.
Date: Friday, 25 June 2021
Time: 19:00-20:30 (UTC+8)
In the lead-up to the 2021 UN Food Systems Summit, the Global Action Network, Sustainable Food from the Oceans and Inland Waters for Food Security and Nutrition are holding a series of three Independent Dialogues in an effort to include aquatic foods as key solutions for food and nutrition security – bridging the UN Decade of Action on Nutrition and the Decade of Ocean Science to deliver on the Sustainable Development Goals. The events are co-hosted by the Norwegian leadership of the Global Action Network and WorldFish.
In this third dialogue, cross sectorial representatives, including high level, will come together to explore possible solutions and important actions for aquatic foods to be key in food systems transformations, as part of the summit’s Action Track 4, which aims to advance equitable livelihoods. The panel members will take a holistic approach, combining knowledge on different issues related to equitable livelihoods, food security and nutrition along the aquatic food chain and discuss ways to scale up the good solutions to ensure access to resources and decent work, while improving the food and nutrition security.
- Lelei LeLaulu, Chairman, Earth Council Alliance
Walking the talk: Showcasing possible solutions
- Benson Obwanga, Lecturer, Laikipia University College
- Amy Atter, Senior Research Scientist, Council for Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR)
- Dr. Emma Witbooi, Project Manager, Blue Justice Initiative, United Nations Development Programme (UNDP)
Connecting research and policy: How do we scale up good solutions
- Aksel Jakobsen, State Secretary, Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Norway
- Dominik Ziller, Vice President, International Fund for Agricultural Development (IFAD)
- Dr. Shakuntala Thilsted, Global Lead for Nutrition and Public Health, WorldFish
- Michelle Nunn, Chair, UNFSS Action Track 4 & President and CEO, CARE USA
- Nicole Franz, Fishery Analyst, Fisheries and Aquaculture Department, FAO
This event will be opened and closed by the Coordinator of the United Nations System Standing Committee on Nutrition and member of the Global Action Network Sustainable Food from the Oceans and Inland Waters for Food Security and Nutrition, Dr. Stineke Oenema.