This virtual meeting explored the role of the fisheries and aquaculture sector against malnutrition and hunger in Africa.
Date: Wednesday, 9 September 2020
Time: 11:00-12:00 (CET) / 17:00-18:00 (UTC+8)
Ahead of the AU-UE summit, this virtual meeting was held under the auspices of the German Presidency of the Council of the European Union and co-organized by FAO, Federal Ministry of Economic Cooperation and Development, Germany, Renew Europe and S&D.
Our very own Director of Aquaculture and Fisheries Sciences, Mike Phillips, and a panel of experts, discussed the importance of Africa’s fisheries and aquaculture sector to promote the ecological, social and economic development of the continent.
- Manuel Barange - Director, Fisheries Division, FAO
- Gaoussou Gueye - President, African Confederations of Professional Organisations of Artisanal Fishing
- Martin Hoppe - Head of Division, Food and Nutrition Security, Global Food Policy, Fisheries, BMZ
- Leonard Mizzi - Head of Unit, Rural Development, Food Security and Nutrition, European Commission DG DEVCO
- Michael Phillips - Director, Aquaculture and Fisheries Sciences, CGIAR Research Program on Fish Agri-Food Systems, WorldFish
- H. E. Amb. Josefa Leonel Correia Sacko - Commissioner for Rural Economy and Agriculture, African Union Commission
- Veronika Veits - Director, International Ocean Governance and Sustainable Fisheries, European Commission DG MARE
- Spyros Kouvelis - Director, EPLO Institute for Sustainable Development