The CGIAR Research Program on Fish Agri-food Systems (FISH) explores transformative solutions for improving youth engagement in aquatic food systems.
Date: Thursday, 12 August 2021
Time: 16:00-17:00 (UTC+8)
Watch the event recording:
On International Youth Day, WorldFish hosted a virtual learning session, bringing together policymakers, researchers, donors, and stakeholders in the public sector, private sector and civil society to launch a new strategic brief by CGIAR’S Research Program on Fish (FISH CRP) on ‘Youth in small-scale fisheries and aquaculture.’
In this exciting Fish4Thought event, the authors of the brief highlighted the outcomes and recommendations, building on the current understanding of youth’s livelihood aspirations, opportunities, and challenges and how it affects their meaningful engagement in small-scale fisheries and aquaculture in Asia, Africa, and the Pacific.
The research presentation was followed by a panel discussion, contributing to the ongoing dialogue on impactful policies, investments, and opportunities to improve youth participation in aquatic food systems. They shared insights on how to move forward with better data and further research, to provide decent and meaningful livelihood outcomes for young people in low-and- middle-income countries.
Opening and closing remarks:
- Shakuntala Thilsted, Global Lead for Public Health and Nutrition, WorldFish & Vice Chair, UN Food Systems Systems, Action Track 4 'Advancing equitable livelihoods'
Introduction to research:
- Indika Arulingam, Research Officer, International Water Management Institute
- Likimyelesh Woldegiorgis, Research Officer, International Water Management Institute
Perspectives on research:
- Benedict Tan, Programme Coordinator, HATCH Blue
- Neetha Shenoy, Aquaculture Specialist, WorldFish
- Hammed Oni, Co-Founder & Production, Product Development and Managing Director, Frotchery Farms
- Akintola Shehu, Associate Professor of Fisheries, Department of Fisheries, Lagos State University
- Sonali Senaratna Sellamuttu, Principal Researcher & Country Representative (Myanmar) & Regional Representative, Southeast Asia, International Water Management Institute